Let the Beauty of what you Love be what you Do...
~Rumi

Monday, October 5, 2009

Week One: Observation Media/Other




A Tibetan exile resident in India is detained by police at a protest outside the Chinese embassy in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Oct. 1, 2009. Tibetans across the world are protesting the 60th anniversary of Communist rule in China.
(AP

I nabbed this photo & caption on yahoo's week in photos. Honestly, I have to admit I generally try to avoid politics and mass media. It's like, yeah, I know the world can be a pretty screwed up place... but I try to keep it from entering my life on a daily basis. I prefer not to as Jackson Browne would say "shoot up the evening news." I hate the fact that there are wars, greed, atrocities perpetuated on people, entire cultures, and the very earth that supports us all. It just makes me very sad is all, so I try my best to keep my head buried in the sand, like the proverbial ostrich.
But, I digress. This was one of the many images in regards to the 60th anniversary of Communist rule in China. I felt that the photographer captured this image perfectly. I'm sure most people are aware of the plight of the Tibetan people, so I won't go into all that here, except to say that in this photo, if you look at it closely, you can see that it it appears that this man is literally being torn apart. The dark patch of earth behind him struck me as grave like, and the man on the left with the baton... well, it looks like a shovel in which to bury him. Not to mention they are literally ripping his shoe & shirt off. They say a picture is worth a thousand words... and I would say this captures well the treatment of the Tibetan people by Communist China. I did however, find the text accompanying the photo interesting. This man, they claim, is being "detained."
o.k., I guess for next weeks post, I'll find something a bit more cheery & artsy....

No comments: