Let the Beauty of what you Love be what you Do...
~Rumi

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Poster Assignment: Take 1

Ok, here's my first poster. And, I must admit, it took me forever to do... mainly because I am still struggling with the tools. Practice & repetition I guess, but heck, at some point I need to get out in the world & away from the computer!! Anyhow. I used all my own images that I took at this year's burning of Zozobra in Santa Fe. Zozobra was created by artist Will Shuster & introduced at the "Fiestas De Santa Fe" in 1926 & has become an annual tradition. Also known as "Old Man Gloom," this 50 ft high marionette represents all the tribulations, negativity & gloom of the past year. Participants (upwards of 20-30 thousand) are encouraged to "write down their gloom" and it is placed along with Zozobra to be burned & banished into the night sky. It is really an interesting event... kind of paganistic, really. It brings together people of all ages (from toddler to mid eighties I'd say)... all uniting for the same cause... to watch Old Man Gloom burn & hopefully take all their gloom with him. I wanted to insert a video from You Tube from this year's burning, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet, but once I do, it's worth watching- and might make the poster make a little more sense to those unfamiliar w/ Zozobra.

No comments: