Let the Beauty of what you Love be what you Do...
~Rumi

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Photo Etching~ The Good Stuff~ Take 2

Here are the results of my 2nd print... still a ways to go, but I really liked the way this one turned out. I am a little partial though, due to the subject matter... 'cause it's my mom! This picture was originally taken about 36 years ago, sometime in the early 70's by my dad using slide film & an old 35mm camera. I just recently got it printed & had a digital file made. I love this picture... mom barefoot & raking the yard! Even though we didn't have much compared to what everyone has these days, we had what we needed, and I am glad to have grown up this way. We had a very small house (my brother's room was the hallway!), but we had lots of open space... and dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, goats and a garden. As a kid... it felt like a little farm... and since there were no tract homes, just open space around... there were lots of places to run free & explore. But, I digress! Back to printmaking. So here's what the photo looked like after transferring from slide to digital to print:


Then~ etched, inked, wiped & ready to print~


And~ The Final Print!


While this technique is extremely labor intensive ( it took about 10 hours of work for the whole process to get the print of the van below, & the print of my mom shown here) I am really liking where this could go...

5 comments:

Barb said...

I think it could go in some lovely wrapping paper for your Mom's Mother's Day gift. By the way, I liked your digress about your childhood - a nice post, Becky.

Annie Coe said...

Wow. Your mom is beautiful and I love both these prints. Worth the effort and time!
xoxo

Lanthus Clark said...

Great post, with your background and all! And the picture is stunning! I have to give this a try.

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

I love this! What a great result, from a wonderful photo. This might look cool with a sepia ink on a cream paper, too, to give it that added vintage feel. Or even indigo on cold white. Maybe, too, some chine colle experimentation. So much to play with! It's such a great beginning, congrats!

becky said...

Thanks everyone!
Amie, I will definitely try those printing suggestions~ thank you so much for the tips!
:)