In the kiln of course! This is a pic from loading the gas kiln last week~ note all our little test tiles from Glaze Calc Class.
The test tiles above are all from the same base glaze (far left,) with various percentages of Alumina (stabilizer) added. It's interesting to see how little variations can totally change the effect of the glaze.
Everyone in class is testing different variations & percentages of colors, fluxes & stabilizers added to one of 3 favorite glaze bases that we formulated earlier in the semester. It's a lot of info to take in & talk about. We spent hours talking about the results.
Still working away in wheel throwing... filling up shelves. Thinking how taking 2 classes & working is a bit much...
generally feeling a bit behind & trying to get in the studio during my free time, though open studio hours conflict w/ my work schedule! The good news is, I'm gradually getting some things done & getting a little finished work back. Most of it was just testing glazes on the recycled clay that I'm using this semester. Some turned out just horrible! You don't get to see those~ but here are some results that I can live with.
I splurged & got a sheet of background paper for photographing finished work. Surprisingly, I couldn't find it anywhere in town, but I did find it online- it was over 40 bucks w/ shipping! Also, finally got my good camera back, thank goodness! That was over 200 bucks- another unexpected expense! Such is life... you all know how that goes.
Well, gotta run... studying The Complete Guide to High Fire Glazes to pick a glaze to test on Wednesday & gotta get in the studio to do a bit of glazing for my wheel class before the next firing!